Today’s craftings :)
Four rings, two tunnels with cameo fronts, and a cameo batwing bow.
not sure if I posted these already but oh well…
I got some new dinosaurs a few days ago and like I do with nearly everything I buy I turned them into plant holders. I think I may have a small obsession with putting succulents in toys…
Also, the third image in this set is of one of the last of our wedding centre pieces to survive. Turns out it is growing quite well :)
No Kewpie is safe in this house!
My obsession with Kewpie’s has caused a few to be added to my window sill garden in parts. I quite like the look of them here.. it’s almost as if they’re really odd plants that have sprouted up amongst all the succulents.
Yes that is an elephant butt in the background.
Edit: Does anyone know how I can flip my photo so they aren’t posted sideways on tumblr?
Carrying on with my gardeny craft obsession:
I had this old Kewpie Doll laying around the house for ages that I’d found in an op shop for a dollar or two. It had these groovy little hand knitted underpants on and I fell in love. Since then it’s just sat around looking sad so I decided to put it to good use.. And by good use I mean replacing it’s head with a Jelly Bean plant (I am a bit obsessed with those too!).
It’s head now resides on a glitter red artists’ model manikin thing. He seems much happier now :)
Latest craft obsession: Turning toys/novelty tea sets into plant holders.
I saw someone else on tumblr doing this and painting the dinosaurs they used with neon or gold paint. I was suitably impressed but liked the idea of using a range of toys and items and keeping their colours as they were so I decided to do it myself.
So far I have pirate heads, skulls, dinosaurs, coffee cups, little glass bottles that are meant to hold dried herbs, several regular pot plants and an elephant I accidentally “Decapitated plus a little bit more” as Ben so eloquently put it when I told him I had cut my poor elephant in half (pictured above lying on the floor looking sad after being patched up with my newly found hot glue gun). Good news is my elephant made a full recovery and now has an awesomely named plant called a Jelly Bean plant (hopefully) growing in it. I’m pretty excited about this.
My kitchen windowsill garden is growing, looks lovely and I have a sense of pride and accomplishment that I have only nearly killed one plant since I started it.
PS I also recently repotted my original jelly bean plant this evening. It looks much happier now in its bigger pot behind the brontosaurus (?) in one of the unrotated pictures above.
Its winter here in Australia and that means one thing: COLD EXTREMITIES!
Every winter I end up with freezy hands and feet and every winter Ben gets a cold surprise when I get into bed and either hug him without remembering that my hands are cold or I purposely put my cold feet on his back making him squeal like a girl (this is terrific fun for me and he loves getting his revenge later).
So like the good fiancée I am I have decided to do something about this and warm my hands and feet with some home-made heat packs. I found a tutorial the other day on how to make them and decided to go get some fabric and hand sew myself a wonderful rice filled heat pack.
And this is the fabric that I have chosen. Its a little bit nursery rhyme/kiddish but that is precisely what I like about it. I wanted something that I could get excited about when I used it and in the context of our home which is filled with mismatched styles of everything, toys, art supplies etc. It will not fit in perfectly :)